Thursday, January 27, 2011

Drawing the TARDIS

I can't remember the last time I just sat down and drew something seriously. This morning I was feeling creative, and then it occurred to me: every true Doctor Who fan, at some point, has to draw the TARDIS. So this was the result:


It took roughly two hours to draw. I was feeling too lazy to actually color it, but I usually prefer plain pencil-drawings anyway. I used the cover of Steve Tribe's The TARDIS Handbook as a guide, and, because I couldn't find a ruler, I pulled off the top half of a CD case (a trick I learned when I was a kid) and used that.

Initially I drew it being struck by lightning, surrounded by one of those generic comic blast/punch 'balloons'. But I found that it was distracting too much attention away from the TARDIS itself, because it looked a little too jumbled. So I erased the blast-balloon, added more lightning (just for cool-ness' sake), and then colored in the surrounding areas, just to emphasize the TARDIS.

The words on the sign are all the same as the real thing, just written very very small. I thought that would bring it to life a bit more than just doing lazy squiggle lines. The "St. John Ambulance" symbol is the only thing I sort of cheated on. I was able to write "St. John" and then I got about as far as "Ambul-" before I started to run out of room, so I just sort of trailed it off with little squiggles. The symbol at the center of the St. John Ambulance logo is as close as I could get it, but it was a bit too difficult to draw it that small, so that one I also somewhat cheated on.

I'm not very happy with the "POLICE public call BOX" logo, as I've never been good at writing thick letters without them coming across as childish looking. But it serves it's purpose. The "Public Call" part I also had to cheat on because I couldn't make thick-white letters that small.

One of the things I wanted to do, but just wasn't feeling up to the task, was to actually draw in the detail of the wood. Perhaps I will revisit this drawing someday.

Anyway, below are some crude pictures I took with my cell phone of some of the work in progress:






At this point I got to into finishing it so I didn't take anymore. So, there you go. Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Need to draw the Tardis for my brother's birthday card and this is quite helpful. Also i feel like a true Doctor Who fan must also learn a little Gallifreyan at some point :) Anyway the Tardis I drew turned out marvelously and I thank you greatly for the tips!

    ReplyDelete